Thursday, March 20, 2014

CSAAM April 2014 - Best Friends Forever

It's that time of the year again when my usually computer allergic mom turns into a net savvy pc romping momma. I don't know what actually happens to her in March and April every year.
But I do remember it's during one of these times that she had explained to me about the bad touch. And does so every year. I think she has been telling me about it since I was 5. Now I am 9. Oh and my name is Riya. I dint quite understand it when she told me the first time. I was full of doubts. I would point out to each and every uncle on the road and ask Amma if he was a good person or not? I dint have a clue as to how I would know a bad person or a bad touch. Finally when I was 8, I started getting a better idea as to what Amma really wanted me to understand. And that was also because of my best friend Mia. Yeah..Our names are similar that was the first reason why we became friends in the 1st standard. But what strengthened our friendship was something else. Last year when Amma gave me the "bad touch" talk. I decided to show off and tell Mia all about it. So in one of the free periods I told Mia all about the bad touch. Mia's face just went blank. She looked as if someone had stolen her pencil plus eraser. I was like..uh oh...did I open my mouth a bit too much. Mia just went away without saying a word to me. Before I could ask her anything the Ma'am came. And then we didn't have a free period. The next day I asked Mia, what had happened. But she just looked at my face and didn't say a thing. I was getting scared now. I thought what if Mia told Ma'am about this. Me and my big mouth. I even blamed my Amma for this. It was hell for a week with Mia not talking to me and me sitting all scared as to when I would be called to the staff room. Finally I summoned all my courage and went to Mia and asked her to tell me what the problem was. To tell me why she was not talking to me. It was the sports period and luckily no one was in the class. She burst out into tears and told me about her neighbour uncle who comes to her house . She realised that he was doing something wrong only when I told her about the bad touch. I was sad and relieved at the same time. Sad to know that Mia was in trouble.  And relieved to know that I was not the cause. I told Mia that she should tell her parents immediately. Mia was very scared to tell them. She felt that they wouldn't believe her. I told her all that my Amma had told me. I tried my best to convince her. She finally said she'll try to tell them and made me promise that I wouldn't tell anyone. I gave in and promised her. Days passed into weeks and still Mia hadn't told her parents. I had almost given up. Finally the day of our first exam, Mia came up to me with a huge smile and kissed my hand and said you are my best friend forever. I was surprised. I asked her what happened. It seems that the neighbour uncle had come the previous day and this time when he tried to touch Mia in her private part, she screamed at the top of her voice (something that my Amma had told me and which I had told Mia). Her parents came running and then finally Mia told them all what had happened. Her parents scolded uncle and threatened to complain to the police if he comes near any child ever again. I was so happy and excited. I finally knew what all Amma wanted me to understand. It helped not only me but my best friend Mia too. Now we are Best Friends Forever.
This year I am going to tell Amma thanks for explaining the bad touch. Mia has told me it's okay to tell my mom.
I hope there was some way that all children in my school would know about this. So that no one is ever touched in a bad way.



DISCLAIMER: This is a piece of fiction. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental.

No comments:

Post a Comment